If your doggie could talk I am sure he would tell you he or she loves chocolate.
Unfortunately chocolate is very dangerous and toxic for your dog. It is a wise practice to not give the sweet treat to your best friend. How much chocolate can the animal eat before showing the symptoms of the drug Theobromine, which is the offensive ingredient.
What is Theobromine?
*Theo·bro·mine pronunciation is th--br-mn, -mn, a noun and the description is a bitter alkaloid closely related to caffeine that occurs especially in *cacao beans which is the dried partly fermented fatty seeds of a So. American evergreen tree (Theobroma cacao of the family Sterculiaceae) that are used in making cocoa, chocolate, and cocoa butter -- called also cacao bean, cocoa bean and is used as a diuretic, myocardial stimulant, and vasodilator. Now does that sound like anything you would want to give to your doggie? No way, give him a piece of cheese or a carrot.
If you dog accidentally eats your whole solid chocolate Easter bunny, the reaction will depend on the size of your dog, and your dog's responsiveness, and the amount of theobromine in the bunny. Most definitely your dog will get very sick if he eats too much chocolate. So, remember to put the sweet stuff out of his or her reach.
These are the allowed amounts of chocolate containing theobromine from my research.
1 ounce Milk chocolate for every 1 pound of a dog's weight.
1 ounce Semi-sweet chocolate for every 3 pounds of a dog's weight.
1 ounce Baker's chocolate for every 9 pounds of a dog's weight.
Supported by these measurements the ingestion of a two ounce serving of Baker's chocolate poses a risk of adverse reaction to a fifteen pound dog, while two ounces of milk chocolate may only cause mild digestive symptoms in the same animal. Your pet dog will not understand why his tummy is hurting and upset. The following are the outward symptoms of chocolate poisoning:
Xanthine compounds like theobromine target the peripheral nerves, central nervous system, and cardiovascular system. Theobromine, like caffeine, is a diuretic so if your dog ingests excessive amounts of chocolate high in theobromine, your dog will be vomiting,urinating often and in larger amounts than normal. He or she will develop diarrhea, and become very irritable and excitable. Your pets heart rate will race and he probably will show signs of muscle tremors. This is too horrible to imagine in your little friend.
Is there a antidote for chocolate poisoning?
There is no known antidote to xanthine or theobromine poisoning in dogs. However, there are a number of ways to counteract or lessen their conflicting effects both immediately and for the duration. Please notify your veterinarian as soon as you realize what has happened if your dog eats too much chocolate. He may administer activated charcoal to restrain the absorption of the poison. A drug used to treat or prevent convulsions may be given to control the neurological side effects. Other treatments such as oxygen therapy, intravenous medicine and drinking water and other fluids will probably be prescribed by your vet to protect the precious pooches heart. Even in small amounts if eaten by your dog, this could cause diarrhea, the treatment is lots of liquids to keep the animal hydrated. These symptoms can last from 12 to up to 48 hours. So, if your doggie eats too much chocolate, and shows symptoms of poisoning, please call your veterinarian immediately, he is trained to administer the correct treatment. Chocolate is comfort food for humans, and we love it, your dog will love it also, but it will make him or her very very sick. As a rule, don't give ANY chocolate to your pet, it is just TOO risky
* "Theobromine" Dictionary Resources at Merriam-Webster * "Cacao" Dictionary Resources at Merriam-Webster.